How To Sign Documents Online: A Guide by NDISign
During a pandemic or lockdown, a more digitally-focused approach is adapted by industries and governments all around the world. Business processes were no exception. Numerous processes that took place in the workplace had to now be done digitally - including the signing of important documents and contracts. This resulted in the question for the majority of entrepreneurs and workers: How do I sign documents online? Let’s find out.
The Traditional Way of Signing Documents - Electronic Signatures
An electronic signature is, in the simplest terms, an image of your signature attached in the digital format of the document you need to sign. This is the most basic way of signing documents online and is currently the most commonly used.
Here’s a simplified process on how to use e-signatures online:
- Apply or sign on for an account on some website
- Create your credentials on that website based on
- Potentially provide the document you need to sign or need to be signed
- Attach your e-signature to the document, as signee (after another account creation?)
- Get the e-signed document back
Although electronic signatures sound simple and apparently get the job done, it has numerous security risks that will potentially harm you as the signee or provide inaccurate representation to the recipient. Some of them may include:
Problems with Electronic Signatures
- Authenticity of Identity - Much like the traditional paper-and-ink signatures, your e-signature can be easily stolen or forged. This is especially true since there is no identity verification attached to that scribble or image signature. You really won’t know who put the signature there, besides all the mechanisms of where it came from and how it was stored or transported. Each has its own is a weakness, in totality it is flawed.
- Document Integrity - As the signee, your job often ends after you have attached your signature and have sent back the document. However, the potential risk of the document being altered after you’ve given your signature is always a possibility. Have any figures on the document changed?
- Tedious Processes - Common e-signature services also have you go through a lot of processes that will take a lot of effort before you get to the actual signing or receiving of a signed document. From account creation and confirmation to the live attachment of your e-signature, and the how. There has to be a faster and more efficient way of securing a signature onto important documents and contracts.
With these in mind, we at NDISign believe that the question shouldn't be “How to sign documents online?” but instead should be “how to securely and efficiently sign documents online?”. Here’s how we can help:
Sign Documents Online with NDISign
Unlike traditional e-signatures, NDISign uses government-provisioned Digital Signatures to have you sign your documents online. Digital signatures are different from e-signatures in two major points: Authenticated Identity of the signee and Verified Integrity of the document. This is because NDISign’s digital signatures use proven methodologies of public-key encryption to handle both the Identity of the signee and the Integrity of the document in the ceremony when a signature is generated in conjunction with the document and placed back into a document.
To expand on some of the benefits of using digital signatures, we have the following points to expose :
Tamper proof and Fraud resistant
Any modification on the document will render the signature invalid.
Any signature on a modified document will seal the proof of the modification.
- Tamper Proof - Using public key encryption, NDISign’s digital signatures, are based on provisioned identities that are locked into the singpass app. These are accessed by the biometrics and password protection from the owner of these identities. When signing, your signature is meshed with the document and enciphered back into the document – so the signature becomes unique, and cannot be stolen or replicated into the next document. This is the tamper-proof portion – changing the document or signature contained, renders the modification flag and therefore the invalid flag. The best part of all this is that the document is self-contained and carries all the checks and balances to ensure Identity Authenticity and Integrity proof.
Validation is self-contained in the document
Identity Authentication (the person who signed)
Document Integrity (the document has not changed)
- Trust - Much like the first point, you can trust NDISign’s digital signature services to do the deep-dive work for you. You need to trust the identities. Identities are already provisioned by the government in your singpass app, and these identities come from a trusted registry of identities maintained by the government. The signing is actually done on the mobile device and enciphered with the document itself. Key information is then packaged back into the document along with the signature and the visual annotation of the signature. All done by NDISign – the digital signature is intact. Trust also works after the document is returned. Certified viewers that recognize the digital signatures automatically verify the identity with internal and external registries, as well as re-compute the integrity of the document that contains the signature. There is no third party to trust – it's all baked into the self-contained signed document – this is TRUST.
National Digital Identities are already provisioned
Your certificate of Identity is in your singpass app
Signing of any document is done within your singpass app.
- Account Creation - NDISign does not make you go through any process of having to create and confirm your accounts. Using your National Digital Identity provided by the government, you can immediately sign all the documents you need. These credentials are already trusted and it is based on a framework provided for and managed by the government agencies responsible.
How to Sign Documents Online with NDISign
Here’s how NDISign stays true to its promise of a simple, fast, and safe way of signing documents online. You just need to follow these steps: (on desktop or mobile)
- Upload the document to the signdesk
- Scan the provided QR code with your singpass app.
- Download the signed document
Take a look at these simple steps
That’s it. With NDISign, signing documents online is simple, fast, and safe. There’s no need for account creation, passwords, saving of signatures, or even storage of documents, exposing yourself to potential cybersecurity risks.
The world is already a difficult place as it is. So, our goal is to simplify, you too should simplify some of your processes to reduce your worries and headaches. That’s exactly what we offer here at NDISign - a simplified secured way of conducting business for people in Singapore. To answer the question “How to sign documents online?”, there’s only one answer: With NDISign’s Digital Signature Services!
Signdesk (NDISIGN ONLINE)
Tested, Validated and Certified by
NDISign is the name of the system that allows and provides for Digital Signature signing when you scan using your singapss app.
Anyone with a document that needs signing, can go to a ‘signdesk', and sign it using the singpass app in seconds
A 'signdesk' is the place where you send and see the document you wish to sign, it will have the QR code necessary for signing.
You should have a document to be signed and the singpass app, that’s it. Access to the ‘signdesk’ should already be provided via a link or button. If this is not provided, you can go to the public signdesk.sg
Yes, we provide for IN-PREMISE and HOSTED ‘signdesks’.